Storage and feed-out management
Good stack or bale storage management plays a critical role in maximising silage quality and reducing feed wastage.
Aim to have the face of stacks or bunkers tight throughout the entire feed-out period. Silage that is loose allows the air to penetrate into the stack. This air allows yeasts and moulds to grow causing silage to heat, reducing quality and quantity.
- Choose a storage area that is well drained and away from trees.
- Fence around stacks or bales to keep stock out.
- Place rat bait in bait stations around the stored silage.
- Check regularly and mend holes that develop in the cover or wrap immediately.
- Never feed mouldy silage to animals.